Alnkate524
Alnkate524 asks:
Q:

Can schools legally hold my child back in kindergarten?

I live in upstate New York. My son has lived a shelterd life. He gets excited when around other kids and wants to play. My son is doing well in kindegarten overall but needs help controlling his excitement. Can his school legally make my child repeat Kindegarten or do I his parent have the final say?
In Topics: Kindergarten readiness

|
michaelbartone
michaelbart... writes:
Well it is good to hear that your son is doing well in K. Sounds like he is off to great start on his educational journey. As for an answer to your question, it is a little tricky.

Each state is different. I would contact the state department of education in NY.

www.nysed.gov/

or your local school district. From my experience parents have to sign off on an agreement that your child will be held back. In some states children are held back without a parent's approval. If I were you I would ask to see documentation, year round documentation, showing why they believe your son should be held back. Finally,    if your son is held back, research has shown that children need to be placed and a very different class than the one they were in the first go round. If your son had a teacher who was very hands on and he didn't do well, then he needs a teacher who does less of that and more direct instruction. In the event your son stays back, which is not a bad thing, start advocating for a teacher who will meet his best learning style.

Best to you!

1
0
twolittleboys
twolittleboys writes:
I have been looking for the answer to this question myself since last year.  My state department of ed was no help in my case since my kids go to private school and according to them, that's a whole different ballgame.  From all the research I've done, holding a child back is NOT always a good thing so I would do a lot more investigating, talk with your pediatrician and other professionals before making that decision.  It's not a "one size fits all" answer.

0
0
Hi Alnkate524,

I sympathize with you on this matter, it's wonderful that he is doing well in Kindergarten "overall".  Remember that there is a lot more to Kindergarten than performing well.  This is what sets the tone for the entire journey through school and naturally you want the best possible experience for your child.

If he is having difficulty managing emotions or self control, you may want him to gain control before advancing to higher grades.  Repeating Kindergarten will allow him another "fresh" start and give him time to mature enough to gain the much needed skills to be prepared to handle advanced grades.  

Remember, this school year is still far from over, and there is time to turn things around.  Talk to your teacher, express your concerns and work with the teacher and your child to gain what is necessary for him to adequately perform and be prepared to advance to the 1st grade without any repercussions that may follow later.

I wish you and your child all the best!

1
0
ajmis1
ajmis1 writes:
Have a meeting with the teacher and prinicipal and discuss the issue. But in my opinion if he is doing well and do the work. Then behavior should not hold him back. if its too extreme you may need to talk to his pediatrician.

0
0