villagemother
villagemother asks:
Q:

How can my senior class president daughter prevent an ex-teacher from speaking at graduation?

My daughter is graduating next month.  She is the senior class president.  She found out today that one of the speakers that her classmates want is an ex-teacher who was fired last year.  the problem with it is that this same teacher has been trying to get her job back. Unfortunately, this ex-teacher got herself voted onto the new school board.    We have a senior/parents meeting to go to tomorrow that my daughter organized.  How do you handle this type of situation without it becoming very ugly?
Does anyone have any pointers?  My daughter does not feel that this ex-teacher should be speaking on behalf of her classmates due to her ways and the trouble she has caused an innocent man.  I feel she is right also but the downside is that her classmates and the other teachers are against her.  What would you do?
In Topics: Working with my child's teacher(s)

|

concernedteach
concernedte... writes:
If I were you, at the meeting I would ask the kids to step out because the parents need to talk about something. Then I would tell the parents what happened between the two teachers and that the students want the former teacher to speak. Explain the the parents why you think this is a bad idea and see if they agree. If the parents agree with you, then your daughter needs to find someone else to speak, otherwise, its out of your hands and she has to fulfill her responsibility to her peers and ask the former teacher to speak. There is no other way that i can think of to satisfy both sides. By bringing it to the attention of the parents, and by you being the one to do it, you eliminate most biases that may be present and skiping over the drama that teens tend to cause. I hope this helps, and good luck.
~Elle

0
0