BrandesE
BrandesE asks:
Q:

I think my sister has recently started cutting my suspicion was confirmed when I found bloody scissors in her room and scars on her wrist what do I do

Our mother died about two years ago and she is struggling in school could this be the source of her cutting? our father became aware of this issue after I told him, how do I help my little sister without making her feel embarrassed and help her to get through this
In Topics: Cutting

|

Sorry about your mother. :)  I'm sure the last few years have been rough for your entire fmaily.  We are grieve in different ways, but when these ways are harmful to us, stepping in is the right thing to do.  You've handled everything right so far.  Telling an adult who has the power to set up professional help for your sister is a great choice.

Now for how to talk to your sister - choose a time when things are calm and then just be honest with her.  Let her know that you love her, you worry about her, you are there for her.  If she is one to get easily embarrassed you could even write all of this in a letter and give it to her.

Maybe your sister would agree to come to you when she gets the urge to cut.  You could be part of her safety plan.  If she is more comfortable talking with someone anonymously, she could call a hotline too for support.  Sometimes people get mad when they found out someone "reported them" or "told on them".  When it comes to someone's safety though, it is always the right thing to do.

Laura - Crisis Counselor
0
0