sunmi00
sunmi00 asks:
Q:

Should my six-year-old, Julia, be in first or second grade?

Julia, my six-and-three-quarters-year-old, is very advanced for her age. In Turkey, she has already finished first grade. She was born on January 1, 2007.
I've successfully gotten Julia to read "The Restoration of Order: The Normalization of Czechoslovakia" when she turned 6 on January 1, 2013, and am currently getting her to read "Romeo and Juliet" because she's almost 7.
She can read high school books at present, but math is at a 2nd grade level.
Also, are the books i mentioned "The Restoration of Order: The Normalization of Czechoslovakia" and "Romeo and Juliet" appropriate for her reading level? [she can read at a 10th grade level and she's only 6]
In Topics: Recommended Books, Outside the classroom, Helping my child with writing

|
sunmi00
sunmi00 writes:
Yes, they are appropriate.
Julia sounds like she could be an advanced reader.
BTW, her seventh birthday [January 1] sounds like she could try something for a smart 7-year-old. She should read "The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian" as a Christian allegory, as she's being raised in a Baptist home. On her 8th birthday [January 1, 2015], she should read "The Martian Chronicles" by Ray Bradbury.
I would recommend her being in 2nd grade.

1
0
TeacherandParent
TeacherandP... writes:
I would be very impressed that a six year old can read and understand The Normalization of Czechoslovakia or Romeo and Juliet. Did she enjoy those books?

How does she do in school? Schools in the U.S. are usually very reluctant to put children in a higher grade - particularly in the middle of the school year. And if she went into second grade, she would there only be given 2nd grade level books to read. She wouldn't read anymore Shakespeare even if she advances to the second grade.

If she should be in second instead of first is a good question to ask her teacher. If the teacher agrees with you, she could help you to push the school to move your daughter ahead. If she doesn't, ask the teacher for a list of books appropriate for children in 2nd through 6th grade. Even though your daughter can easily read high school books, that doesn't mean that high school books are appropriate for her or interesting to her.

0
0
Anonymous