girliemouth
girliemouth asks:
Q:

Will skipping kindergarten and going straight to 1st grade due more harm than good?

My son just turned 6 and never went to kindergarten.  He had 1 great year of head start but when it came time for kindergarten it quickly became VERY clear that he was just not emotionally ready.  Now school begins 8-12-14 and my son will be 6 on 8-09-14 therefore allowing him to go to 1st grade.  But I I am concerned that he will be academically behind the other kids. so I'm wondering if I should put him in kindergarten now?

|

hstendera
hstendera writes:
Your concerns are understandable, as well as admirable.  Considering you are approaching the deadline for enrollment, may I suggest that you give your son a "chance and a chat".  "Chance", to test his current knowledge against the requirements of 1st grade, in the privacy of your own home, and "Chat", to discuss with him the differences in environments of grade levels.  If you visit the site Calvert.com, you are able to access grade level entrance exams that will help you to evaluate your son's current mastery.  The exams are free and you do not need to sign up for anything.  My son, now 11, also skipped kindergarten and went directly into 1st grade. At that age and with an engaged parent, children have the ability to take flight.  The only limits are on the teaching, not the child.  I wish you and your son success!

0
0