Rainyo23
Rainyo23 asks:
Q:

Do I have social anxiety?

I get really nervous talking to strangers or people I don't know very well. I also panic if I have to talk on the phone, even to someone like my aunt. I hate running or even moving in front of people because I am afraid that I look silly. I have read about social anxiety and I fit many of the symptoms. Do you think I might have social anxiety?
In Topics: Teen issues

|

It's easy to start worrying ourselves when we read about diagnoses and all online.  Yes, some of what you describe does sound like anxiety, but definitely that would be for a therapist to confirm.  Alot of people have a hard time approaching others, starting a conversation, or having to perform or do something in front of others.  A little bit if anxiety is normal.

Think about getting involved in an activity you like, a volunteer organization, or even taking a class for fun. Why? It gives you purpose. It can build your confidence. It allows you an outlet to do something that you enjoy or that you are good at. It also brings you together with other people who have that same interest, so already you have one thing in common with them. The bonus is that you have an easy conversation starter by simply talking about the activity you both enjoy.

You can even practice your social skills at home. Things like: looking directly at someone when you speak to them, smiling, head nods to acknowledge that you are listening to them. Little things like this do not come naturally to everybody, but can sure be helpful when you are trying to develop some friendships, have a simple conversation, or need to just exchange a greeting with someone. It truly might help give you some relief from the nervousness you are feeling.

Laura - Crisis Counselor

0
0