cliu
cliu asks:
Q:

Are there any social skill groups for children with Asperger's syndrome?

Recently my son, six years old was complaint by school teacher that he has problem to cooperate with teacher and play with children, then I took my son to test by psychologist and the psychologist told me my son has some parts like asperger syndrom, like transition; social skill and follow direction problems. now I am looking for social skill group for my son and anybody know better way to help him.  
In Topics: Autism & Aspergers Syndrome

|

Congratulations on taking the initiative on better understanding your son. It is wonderful that you have followed-up with your son's teacher's concerns and have pursued an evaluation with a psychologist. Early identification and intervention with children, such as your son has been proven to be very effective.

I would recommend that you return to the psychologist who made the initial diagnosis and request referrals for social skill groups in your area. Also, I think that you should contact the special education coordinator at your son's school and request that a meeting be held to review your son's eligibility for special education. Let the coordinator know that you have the results of an evaluation and you want to discuss your son's eligibility and possible modifications for his classroom. For instance, your son may benefit from a posted written schedule of each days activities on his desk. He may also require warnings from the teacher of impending transitions so that he is not surprised when asked to move to a new activity. Finally, the school will likely have social skills groups that your son can join.

Education.com Team

1
0