My son is 5 in mar. & he's in kg2. He knows colors, phonics, nos, shapes, and he can read a few words, but he still wants to play & can't add or subtract. Is he behind?

In Topics: Learning styles and differences

No, not in my opinion, I don't believe that he is behind.  It seems as though he is doing quiet well.  Addition and subtraction is not that emphasized or of that much importance at 5 years old and seems to be taught in 1st grade.  You may want to begin practice and explaining how addition and subtraction works, but I would not become too distracted with the details of math.  I think that at 5 the phonics, reading and writing is much more important.

A fun game I liked to play with my daughter with Math was by using craft sticks (available at the craft store or dollar store) they usually cost $1 for 250 sticks.  I would lay several out and we would count the sticks, then separately, I would lay out several more and we would count the sticks and say for ex. 3 + 3 and count all the sticks equals 6.  Practice subtraction using the same method. has several great worksheets available that you may enjoy.  Sounds like your son is very smart and I can tell that you are a caring parent, so I believe that your son will do very well with his school work.  

Best wishes & have fun learning!