juliejames1976
juliejames1... asks:
Q:

My son is asked to repeat second grade, should I put him in a new school ?

My son who is in year 3, is an average student. The teacher asked us to put him in year 3 for one more year. We are okay with that, but am little concerned how he will digest it. How he will cope up, when all his friends move to a different class. I am thinking whether to put him at year 3 itself, in a new school ? Anyone else who has went through a similar situation, how did you manage ?
Thank you
Julie.
In Topics: School and Academics, Motivation and achievement at school

|
juliejames1976
juliejames1... writes:
Sorry there is a typo in the question, please read it as "My son is asked to repeat 3rd grade, should I put him in a new school?"
Thank you
Julie.

0
0
TeacherandParent
TeacherandP... writes:
Have you talked to your son about it? How old is he in relation to the rest of the children in his class? If he's one of the younger children in his class it can give him an edge to repeat a grade.

But - what is his teacher saying? If he's an average student she should be saying that by repeating a grade, he'll have an edge the year after. It's unusual to recommend that an average student repeat a school year so I'd want to be clear as to what exactly she thinks this will do for your son.

And I'd want your son to know as best he can that this is NOT a failure on his part - it's a strategy. But like you I'd want to be sure this will not upset him and cause him to lose face with other kids or lose his self-confidence.
If there is another nearby school that you like, it's a worthy idea to start him there where he'll fit right in without having to have the whole school know he's repeating a year.

I did do this with my own son but I did put him in another school where no one knew he was doing 2nd grade over again.

0
0