akilas
akilas asks:
Q:

My son has Asperger's syndrome and is on a gluten and casien free diet, but his conditioning is worsening.  What do I do?

Hi my son is about 12 year old. His developmental pediatrition insisted on putting him on the GFCF(gluten and casien free diet) and SOY free diet sience his wheat and milk and soy alergens were high.I tried to put him on the GFCF(gluten and casien free diet)and soy free  diet it is been 4 months he is strictly on this diet eventhough it is very hard on my family which involves other kids. But my family feels that there is no visiable improvement. Probably his stimming has gotten worse. ( His special intrest  is about looking at food magazine and food channels on TV and looking at the restuarents menu and reviews). Did anybody went thru this similar experience if you did please let me know. I would really appreciate it. Thanks, Akila
In Topics: Autism & Aspergers Syndrome

|
Wayne Yankus writes:
Akila:

Good for you for trying what your developmental pediatrician suggested.  I would go back to that doctor and say what you have said here.  Four months is sufficient for a special diet trial which does not have much scientific backing.  Children with autism spectrum disorders don't like change especially when they are older and the diet change may still bother him to wit his obsession with food images.  Talk to your pediatrician and get some advice.

2
0
ilovechefwilliam
ilovechefwi... , Teacher, Caregiver writes:
Although there have been many cases of the GFCF diet being useful, but just like anything else not everything works.  I once heard in a great autism conference "When you have met a chid with autism, you have met one child with autism"  You should go back to your peditrician and take all of your information with you.  Make sure that you let them know that the stemming has not gotten any better and that you have not seen that much improvement.
Good Luck!

0
0