yourock
yourock asks:
Q:

How to help my son distinguish fantasy from reality with his toy ironman

In Topics: My child's growth and development, Parenting / Our Family, Communicating with my child (The tough talks)

|

Dear Yourock:

It depends on his age.  for very young children, fantasy and imagination need only reassurance. For older boys and girls working through story books etc... can lay the ground work for reality.  Ironman toys tend to make them think they are indestructible. use every opportunity to remind him about safety.

0
0

gnowit
gnowit writes:
If your son is not 8 years old he doesn't need to play with it, his mind is not developed enough for action toys. Give him a toy horse or animal.

0
0
cpounds23
cpounds23 writes:
My 5yo also loves his action figures and loves to play the superhero with his siblings. I found the easiest way to teach the difference is to show him examples throughout his day. If he is watching a cartoon, ask him, without a speech to follow, is this real or pretend? If he falls and gets a scratch, while putting on the bandaid, point out that he is a real boy, and that real boys can get hurt, even when they pretend to be a superhero. . .  Life is full of opportunities to point out the difference between real and pretend. Start showing him these, and then you can easily relate that to his toys without the long lecture that no little boy can sit still through or truly absorb. Best of luck! :)

0
0
Anonymous