Anonymous
Q:

My son doesn't know how to explain why he doesn't live with his mommy

My son is 5 years old, he lives with me. It is not typical for children to live with their fathers full time and only see their mothers once and a while. When he started school other kids didn't understand why he doesn't live with his mommy. He always did a good job explaining some kids live with their moms, some with their dads and some with both, he'd say I live with my dad but I visit with my mom. Now kids are digging deeper and he doesn't know how to respond. He is only 5 and of course I have never told him the real reasons he lives with me (because his mother is completely incapable of raising him, let alone caring for herself) When he visits with his mom she tells him she sent him to live with me so she could work and go to school, none of which is true. He then starts telling other adults and kids in his life that he has to live with me because his mom works. Both myself and my partner who raise him work full time and completed university while raising him. He will never live with his mother but she repeatedly tells him he will. I don't know what to do, I don't want to explain the truth because he's too young and I don't know what alternatives there are. How can I help him understand? What can I say so that he stops believing his mothers manipulative lies? I want to help him understand so when he's asked about it he knows how to respond and so he feels comfortable in his life like he did before he started understanding most kids live with their moms. Thank you
In Topics: Communicating with my child (The tough talks)

|

After a search I thought this website may provide information to help you and provide a forum for you to ask questions to others in your "shoes".

http://www.onlydads.org/

0
0