What can I do to get my son into a good school if he has difficulty learning due to seizures?

"I have a son who has difficulty learning because he gets seizures. My son went to a public school. This school gave me so much problem. When I went to the Board of Education, they asked me to go back to the school. Then I changed schools and put him in a private school. Now I am not working, and I don't want to take my son to the same public school they asked me to go to. In this case, what can I do?"

Asked on behalf of visitor, "Vaunette."  
In Topics: Choosing a school, Learning issues and special needs
> 60 days ago



Jul 8, 2009
Subscribe to Expert

What the Expert Says:

First, I want you to know that there is help for you.  I hope I can direct you to getting the help you need for your son.

First, your child is entitled to free and appropriate education in the least restrictive environment according to Federal Laws.

 As a parent you have the legal right to ask for formal meetings to address your son's needs and see if he qualifies for special services (which can be from simply monitoring his school progress to intensive services to help him achieve).  ALL requests for meetings and exchange of information, etc. should be dated and in writing.  Make a COPY and keep for your records.  Start a file and be organized as you may need to share your information at a later date and you don't want to misplace important legal documents.  Any testing and subsequent meetings need to be held within a certain time frame (30 days, 45 days, etc.)  They cannot legally put you off if you have made a written request.  Also, keep any other forms or records you receive in this file, such as physician's information, etc.

 Go to all meetings with another person. Your spouse/significant other, a friend who knows about education, or a school advocate (This person is trained to help parents make their way through the special education process).

Have written documentation of your son's seizure disorder by the physician that treats him.  Including information about the frequency of his seizures, recommended treatments, precautions and accommodations needed for him.  Seizure disorder if it interrupts a child's learning and achievement is often classified as having a special education need as "Other Health Impaired".

Avail yourself of area support groups.  There are many parent groups of children with special learning circumstances on-line as well as in larger areas.  Check with your local library to help you.  They are often a great resource for knowing what is available within the community.  

You may wish to understand the special education process and if needed for your son the details of the Individualized Educational Program (IEP) by reading a book titled"The Complete IEP Guide- How to Advocate for your Special Ed Child".  ( I borrowed a copy from my local library)

Lastly, I also am including other website resources for you.  Good luck!

Louise Sattler
Nationally Certified School Psychologist
Owner of Signing Families

Did you find this answer useful?

Additional Answers (1)

LDSolutions , Child Professional writes:
Every child has the right to an education, regardless of a disability.  You need to hire an advocate.  This will be an investment well worth it in the long run.  An advocate will help you put together the best IEP possible for your child.  Through an IEP, your child will receive accommodations or modifications pertaining to his individual learning disability.  This will force the school to help your son and give him the education that he deserves. Call your local SELPA (special education local plan area) first.  Explain the entire situation.  They should guide you in the right direction.  Then see if you can find an advocate in your area that will help sit in your IEP and help put together fabulous learning goals for your child.
> 60 days ago

Did you find this answer useful?
Answer this question


You are about to choose ${username}'s answer as the best answer.

Cancel | Continue

*You can change the best answer in the future if you think that you received a better answer

How likely are you to recommend to your friends and colleagues?

Not at all likely
Extremely likely