sciencemaj asks:

Really? My son graduated w/honors degree in Biology from Vanderbilt, but he is jobless. makes you wonder why we need more science teachers??

In Topics: Jobs/Careers

greenprof2 writes:
Sorry to hear your son is having trouble finding a teaching job. If he is searching in Tennessee, he shouldn't be having such a tough time, since TN is one of the recipients of the federal Race to the Top program funds. Our country DOES need science teachers but high school biology is one of the areas where there is a surplus. Has he considered middle school teaching? That is a high need area. I was initially a high school biology teacher myself but found out I could have a lot more fun teaching younger kids. I ended up teaching in a college but my fondest career memories involved taking those 5th and 6th graders on field trips.

Michael Bentley, EdD, Expert Panelist