TanyaE31
TanyaE31 asks:
Q:

I have a son in High School with an IEP. He is failing badly. I want to put him in summer school or get tutoring. Can I make the school pay?

My son is getting nothing but D's and F's. I asked the school if they can get him help or hold him back because he is doing 9th and 10th grade work that he has failed from the year before as well as this years course but he still does not get it. They said they would not hold him back and they could not give him summer school or tutoring that I would pay for it out of my own pocket. Basically in a nut shell was told he would not graduate until he had all his credits even if he had to goto high school for another 5 to 6 years. Can the school get away with that? Thank you Tanya Esch
In Topics: ADHD & attention issues

|

The answer to your question about "who pays" really has to be answered by your school district, state, and what policy is in effect for children with an IEP designation.  The real questions goes to the director of special services for his school. If he is getting D's and F's, what are they doing to help?  Sometimes a mentor or a tutor is provided in the form of another student or a retired teacher.  this is where parent advocacy comes into play. If you are not sure how to do that, ask friends who is a school advocate for parents of children with special needs.

I always would run this problem by the medical home. If your pediatrician knows the situation, sometimes she/he can be of help with the school system, adovcate, refer for a learning disability tune up.

Know your rights.  Call your state education office or go on line.

Wayne A. Yankus, MD, FAAP

1
0
steff

Best Answer!

Something that I found out about on accident while I was asking about my son's IEP was that our state department of education assigns an advocate for all children on an IEP or 504 plan.

Call the department of education in your state and see if they follow the same procedure. They help answer questions, inform you of your son's rights according to state laws, as well as act as an advocate on your son's behalf if needed.They should be able to tell you what the school's responsibility is financially for your son as well.

1
0

ilovechefwilliam
ilovechefwi... , Teacher, Caregiver writes:
It sounds like your IEP is not working.  I would ask to have another ARD called to voice your concerns.  A child that has an IEP should not be failing classes, or there is something more going on.  I am a special education teacher, and I always love the parents that are advocates!  

I would go to your school and talk to the teacher about your concerns again.  If that doesn't work I would go to the diagnostician.  It sounds like your childs needs are not being met.

1
0
LDSolutions
LDSolutions , Child Professional writes:
If your child has an IEP and has been failing with the lessons and intervention the school is providing for you then I would recommend becoming very proactive.  Under NCLB you are entitled to use outside resourses.  Check under your State's Board of Education under SES Services (supplementary educational services) for a list or vendors approved by your state. Also - get an advocate.  It makes a world of difference if you bring someone in to your IEP's that knows all the laws and what your child is entitled to.  If you are unable to afford an advocate - check into free advocacy programs through your state.  Very often these programs teach YOU how to become your child's own advocate.

3
0