hlhmom
hlhmom asks:
Q:

My son is in kindergarten.  I homeschooled him instead of going to preschool.  His current teacher does not challenge him, she says he's doing average

My son is in kindergarten.  I homeschooled until now.  His current teacher will not challenge him.  They are working on site words and we study them at home, he knows the complete list but she tells me he can't get past the 2nd row of words. I met w/her & the 3 of us sat down & he stumbled over 1 word, the problem is she got upset w/me for pushing her to test him on all the words.  How do I handle a teacher like this?  Will I have to always check in to make sure she's not "half doing her job".  This went on for over a month before I realized something was wrong.  She keeps telling me that he will be in a book club, but she does not send books home for him, she gives it to other students as well.  I feel like she gossips to the other teachers as well.  What can I do? Please, please help.
In Topics: School and Academics, Working with my child's teacher(s), Learning issues and special needs

|

Many times children with parents who concentrate on skill development at home notice that their children may excel when in formal education.

Perhaps a meeting between the teacher and yourself (sans the child) may help to find a meeting of the minds.  She may welcome an opportunity for your help in some way, such as finding books to supply to the classroom for a book club.  If you feel that there is true conflict, consider asking the administrator in the building to meet with you.  

Louise Sattler, NCSP

0
0
Anonymous