jxe62
jxe62 asks:
Q:

Son obsessed with being a Hollywood actor

I have a 16 year old son who is obsessed with, and I mean obsessed with being big in Hollywood - he spends hours online looking at sites about Justin Timberlake, Katy Perry, Julia Bradbury, Selena Gomez, Mamie Gummer and Susan Sarandon looking at pictures of them [non-pornographic btw]. He even has a poster of Susan Sarandon on his wall!

We live in the United Kingdom.

His grades have been slipping (not too badly, just lower than expected very slightly.) and he's become obsessed with quitting school and trying to make it big in Hollywood.

He doesn't use social networks [not because we don't let him] but because he doesn't want to. He's even quit football which he used to love and spends hours on trying to look perfect.

He says he wants to move out to Los Angeles some day to "make it big" and marry a Susan Sarandon or Selena Gomez lookalike.

This is worrying us as all he talks about is being famous and wanting to be famous, and he insists he is serious about this, saying it will provide for the family and other things.

I don't want to scare him, but how do I make him see that Hollywood isn't all glitz and glamour so he can make an informed choice about his career.

I don't disapprove of his dream, I just want him to be able to make an informed choice and understand the path he's taking.

This is worrying me, so any advice is appreciated.
In Topics: Parenting / Our Family

|