established82
established82 asks:
Q:

My son is a prime target for bullies, but he is the one always in trouble.

I don't know what to do. My son is the smallest in his class, always has been. It started years ago in 1st grade, he had issues with students teasing him constantly. He is also the type of person who is willing to do virtually anything to gain acceptance. I've tried to discuss this with him, about not doing what others tell him to do and not to respond to bullies. But he is sensitive and rather than telling a teacher someone is picking on him, instead he takes matters into his own hands (i.e. calling a name back, shoving back, or basically mimicking what is done to him).
This has caused him to get in trouble with his first grade teacher, as the other students would band together and single him out (I've witnessed it myself), they're like a pack of wolves, he's an easy target and they feed on that.
The minute he was on that teacher's radar, it was all down hill. She made his life hell, I fought for him as much as I could, but it has created this downward spiral on his school profile, so now whenever he gets a new teacher, he is already profiled. My husband has attended class with him and has witnessed students pick on him, the teacher ignores it, but the second he does ANYTHING, he is called out - and I think it is because of his school "record" that has caused teachers to be ultra-sensitive to his actions while ignoring other students.
Just got off the phone with his principal telling me he was in trouble for throwing rocks (as a result of someone throwing them at him). he

|

It is difficult as a parent to hear that your child is experiencing this type of behavior from classmates.

Document every instance of what happens and when.  After compiling some evidence, take your concerns to the school principal and let them know what is going on.  Try not to enter this meeting with the principal with a confrontational attitude, instead try to approach it with a sense of teamwork to make the situation better.  See if you and the principal can come up with a game plan and then proceed.  Continue to check in and see if the interventions are effective.  If over time you find they are not, go back to the principal and let them know.  Continue to try and work with the school instead of against them.  If you reach a point where you feel as though they are not taking your claims seriously or are not doing enough, than perhaps go to the superintendent or the school board.  These situations are very tricky and it can be very difficult to resolve them.  If worse comes to worse and you do not think that the school environment is healthy for your child and you feel powerless to change it, than you may want to consider a transfer or home schooling.

We hope that you find these suggestions and advice helpful.  Please take care and remember that you can call the Boys Town National Hotline 24 hours a day at the number below, free of charge to discuss any parenting issue.  We are here to help, you are not alone!

Chris, Counselor

0
0

Justanotheremogirl
Justanother... writes:
I'm bullied constently and what I do is try to ignor it. The bullies are worthless little buttons and your son is a golden butttion! Are the worthless butttions physically harming him or verbily?

0
0