MyChildNeedsHelp
MyChildNeed... asks:
Q:

Can I have my son re-tested to see if he can actually go into the next grade?

My son was diagnosed at an early age with ADD and has struggled in school every year. He was held back at my request last year in the 7th grade because he was barely passing. Basically all year he was failing but his grades magically went up at the end and passed. I took him out of one private school and placed him into another hoping that by holding him back in a new school would be easier for him. Most of the year he had problems paying attention in class so communication with the school was a daily event. He sees a counselor every week along with a therapist and has made a huge improvement in social skills, academic skills and how he takes notes in class. Towards the end of the school year his test scores and homework scores were in the 95 percentile but the school has said that because his grades were so low through the first part of the year that they were going to hold him back. I asked them about summer school and they said it would not help him he was too far behind plus they don't offer it. They also said that I would need to get tutoring help for him which I am doing now. I may be wrong but I feel that he could be placed into the eighth grade next year and be able to do well. With all the help he is receiving now that I know where all the problems he is having lies. Can he be re-tested to see if he can advance into the next grade level? If so... who do I contact?

|