Ayyaz
Ayyaz asks:
Q:

My son is eight and is too shy in football matches.

My son is eight years old. He loves football and watches and can play for hours on end in the garden. He trains with a local club and loves his training sessions. However, he also has to play in one match per week for his team but his performance level drops massively. He says it is because he is shy  of playing against other boys, performing in front of other parents but also because he is scared to let myself, dad, down. I think i have imposed my expectations on him too much.
 He also has stopped eating and his weight in comparison to other boys his age is below average.
 His physical appearance is almost like a stick and I am worried that he is finding a sport he loves too stressful to play and want to know how I can help my child start to enjoy himself as he once did.
Please help.
In Topics: Self esteem and identity

|

Hand in Hand

Dear Ayyaz,

I hope you'll find this article on helping your child with shyness helpful. Please also take a look at the next article which answers the questions:

What can parents do to help their children bounce back under adversity, with a basic sense of confidence in themselves in spite of difficult circumstances?
And when a parent has a child who collapses when things are difficult, what can be done to build his resilience?

Let us know how it's going!

Julianne Idleman
Hand in Hand Parenting
www.handinhandparenting.org
0
0

Sarinabella
Sarinabella writes:
If the sport is causing him so much stress you should think again before you let him play again. Have him enjoy the game as a spectator and not a participant. I love sports too, but as a child I would become so anxious when I had to play softball or basketball in gym. It's not worth it. Let him be involved in the things he feels confident in and that helps his self esteem. Nothing is worth the health and well being of your child, especially football.

0
0
rudolffairbanks
rudolffairb... writes:
Hello friend, to solve the shyness problem of your son you should give motivation by playing football with him. and also watch English premier league football matches with him.

0
0