Mskikicox
Mskikicox asks:
Q:

My Son's teacher is annoyed with me. *Because I'm a Teacher also.

My two Sons go to a school, where a Basel Reader is still used to teach reading. I work in a School District that believes in leveled reading to teach reading skills.

Basel Readers are fine if all your students are on grade level and do not struggle with reading.

I find myself cringing when the Teacher tells me my son is struggling with reading, but can not show me or articulate what interventions are being used to help him get to grade level. I've suggested a number of screeners that would better identify the areas he needs most help in. I've gone as far as to complete a few at home.

According to the DRA he is above grade level in reading, and according to the CORE Phonics Screener he is at grade level for Phonic skills, but according to the Basel Reader he is below grade level.

I've tried to delicately bring it up to the Teacher that a Basel Reader may not be appropriate for my son, but she seems annoyed I would do this (which is understandable), because really it is the School District who believes in Basel Readers.
PLEASE do not get me wrong. The school is always a top preforming school in the State on Standardized testing, however with Common Core Drill and Puke is not going to be the best option for teaching Reading.

Does anyone have any suggestions how I should further approach this subject?
In Topics: My Relationship with my child's school

|