sahajkids
sahajkids asks:
Q:

My son (4 1/2 yrs) had delayed milestones and impaired vision and is very stubborn to manage. How to change his behaviour?

My son is second of twins (4.5lb) and had convulsions on 3rd day of birth. later he never got any convulsions. But later all his milestones are delayed. He had speech delay. His vision is impaired. He can see but not at every angle. we are unable to treat him for lazy eye, because he is not cooperative. more over he turns very stubborn at times gets irritated for screaming of his siblings.

he is very fond of music. speaks only few words for communicating, he repeats all those words and sentences he likes. He listens to our commands now and then. interested to spend with strangers,going for a ride,

He resists to take solid food, always we have to feed him with semisolid food. this really worries me a lot. He never holds a biscuit or any fruit to eat. He only plays with a spoon not even any toy. He is still underweight (20lbs) .

please help me to change his situation.
In Topics: My child's growth and development, Physical Health, Learning disabilities

|

Dear Sahajkids:

Get help!  Find a pediatrician in your community, through your hospital, or a pediatric service in a community clinic.  You will also, through your school system, qualify for federal entitlements such as speech therapy and evaluation, hearing testing, developmental evaluation, swallow therapy, etc.. Go to your principal of the school where he would attend kindergarten and ask for a Child Study Team Evaluation. It doesn't cost you anything. this boy needs a lot of medical, educational, and developmental attention.  It is there for you.  you mentioned he was a twin. Some hospitals such as where he was born may have a "continuity clinic" to follow those babies born with problems.

If all of this is overwhelming, find an advocate for your son through a religious community, mental health organization, or the PTA. Some one needs to set the course straight.

Get to work and I wish you a happy outcome for you and your son.

2
0
Anonymous