billythekid721
billythekid... asks:
Q:

Hi, I'm a sophomore male at college and I have parents who think I do not put enough time into doing schoolwork.

I recently got a girlfriend that is from my hometown, but goes to college a half-hour away last semester. My GPA for last semester was a 3.46. Before dating her, I was getting 2.7 each of the two last semesters. My parents think I see her too much at college but I get all my homework done for the week when I am with her so I just have to look at notes the night before class so I know what we are learning. I did the same thing last semester with her. I am also a lacrosse player which takes up a lot of my time as well. I get to see her Saturday after lacrosse until Sunday morning. I have replaced partying with my girlfriend and rather see her Saturday night than sit in my room while my friends go out and get drunk. They think she is a distraction for me and don't want to hear my side to the story.
In Topics: School and Academics, Teen issues, Getting ready for college

|

Houli

If you are making a 3.46 it is difficult to argue with this grade point average.  It sounds to me as if your girlfriend has been a really positive part of your academic improvement.

Perhaps your parents have others reasons for their feelings.  I would ask them to share their concerns other than spending too much time together.  Your grades speak for themselves.  There is something else going on in all likelihood.

Best wishes.

2
0

Wayne Yankus writes:
You are an adult and in charge of your schedule which it would appear you have under control.  Spending time with a girlfriend instead of the usual college dorm life makes sense.  some parents panic at the thought of a mature son who is leaving the nest and making his own way.  Rea-sure your parents of your love and attention for them, and that she is not a distraction to you; just keep up your grades.  

0
0
Anonymous