smrithi
smrithi asks:
Q:

How can I spend more time with my young daughter while I'm doing everything else to take care of her and our house?

hi
my daugher is 17 months old, i am a working women
i want to spend quality time with her with my busy schedule.She goes to daycare i pick her in the evening and i have to cook....her cloths so many work....@ home. i do spend time, after all my homework, but i feel i am not?

please help

thanks
prema jayaprakash
In Topics: Work/family balance

|

Hi Prema,

I just wanted to get a little better understanding of your question.   It sounds like you're having a hard time spending real quality time with your daughter in light of all your other responsibilities (work, school and taking care of your home).  Is that right?

You really do have a lot on your plate!  I'm also a working mom so I've struggled with a lot of those issues.  I think one good exercise is to make a list of all the possible sources of support you have available that you're not using.  For example, do you have a neighbor with children the same age?  Maybe you all could set up a swap arrangement where you watch her kids for a few hours and she watches yours so that you have some time to catch up on other things and then really focus on your daugther when you have her back.  Could you possibly "outsource" any of your home responsibilities?  If you gave up eating out maybe you could hire a cleaning person to help once a week or once every two weeks.  

I know it's hard but you also have to make sure that you're making time to take care of you....geting exercise, sleep, and good nutrition.  I was having a hard time working out but then discovered that I could have a lot of fun with my kids taking walks with the jogging stroller.  We play "car games" like "eye spy" or trying to find objects of every color in the rainbow.  We have "quality time" together, they get fresh air, and I get some exercise.

Another thing I had to do was accept that my house wasn't always going to be perfect.  Clean clothes go unfolded a lot longer than I'd like sometimes but it's worth it to me to spend that time with my kids.

Most of all, remember that it will get easier!  Every day your daughter will get more independent.  

I'm looking forward to seeing what other parents have to offer you!

Education.com Community Team

1
0