lovemydaugther
lovemydaugt... asks:
Q:

Are there any statistics of children recovering and healing from sexual abuse before they become adults? Is this rare?

You always hear of adult survivors of abuse, Can children recover and heal from abuse? Are there support groups for children? My daughter is 11 and was abused at a young age before I adpoted her, her behavior and aggression gets worse everyday. It is clear this is a manifestion of what happened to her, why do the therapists and Dr.'s want to treat the behavior and drug her instead of focusing on what happened to her. I am not a Dr. I am a mother and just am curious, does my daughter have to wait until she is a adult to recover and heal? I don't see anyone trying to deal with the reason she is angry instead of the anger itself. How do I help my daughter.? I want her to heal before she is a teen and things get much worse for her. (Drugs, sex, self-harm, jail etc.) She deserves better than a predetermined role for a victim. Any answers?
In Topics: Self esteem and identity, Children and stress

|
SamiJewell13
SamiJewell13 writes:
Dear lovemydaughter,
I must say that your question hit me like a stack of bricks. I am a survivor of sexual abuse and I asked myself this all the time. I am 19. I blamed myself and others for what happened to me for years. Then when I reached high school I realized that what happened to me was not mine or others' faults. We never completely recover from what has happened to us; it is always in the back of our heads and hearts. We learn to cope with it. I have PTSD and depression due to this. We tried to push me to talk to a counselor but that only made things worse. When she is mentally and emotionally ready to deal with this she will. Until then you HAVE to be patient and supportive. She will talk and deal with this her own way, my mom tried to push me and it only made me resent her more!
Hope for the best of luck with you and your daughter trying to deal with this matter!

1
0
JamielaIsmail
JamielaIsmail , Teacher writes:
Dear love my daughter,
I think given the correct therapies and the sooner you start, the better.  I have read a few articles of how these youngsters were abused but with the support from the parents and trained psychologists, OT's, these children were better able to handle the people around them because they could talk to them about their pain.  If you treat her like a victim all the time, she will not regain her self worth, self respect and her self image will suffer.  Do ask her about visiting these professionals and ease into them.  Avail yourself by listening and giving reassurance that you are there to help.
I do wish you well and I hope your daughter recovers.

0
0