nomie2
nomie2 asks:
Q:

why does my step son of 8 years old sucks on his tongue and does the things he does? could he be mentally delayed or could he be gay?

Im worried about many things he does,
-He sucks on his tongue like a pacifier very often specially when his mother comes around, and when he is in his own world.
-He walks in small steps just like my 4 year old son and puts his up like when a baby starts walking.
-He cries and screams like a baby who needs attention, even worse when his mother is around. My 4 year old son doesn't even cry when i yell at him or say no to him.
-He talks like a baby-girl when his brothers play or bother him, or if he wants something.
-He loves to be babied alot and when he does, he starts talking like one.
-He even kissed my 4 year old son, and humped him b4, soi keep my eyes wide open, worried all the time.

But some people say hes probably just curious or it will pass. there is something wrong with him i know it i see it. His own mother cant even take it when he cries and screams so she sends him to me. He lives with me for about 2 years. Im married to his father.

But it seems like nobody cares but me.Before we moved closer to his mother we lived a distance and i am very sticked with house rules. If he cries n screams he will be punished. So he knew not to cry for unnecessary things or when i say no it means no.And he use to follow rules until when he goes on the weekends with his mother he will act out with her. But besides all the crying around her even with our distance back then he always has the baby walk, baby talk, sucks on tongue. please respond

|

It sounds like you are offering your step-son structures and rules which most children want and need. He knows what the expectations are when he comes to stay with you and dad, and it seems like maybe mom's house isn't offering a lot of structure for him.

You might also look at when you are spending the most time with him. Are you spending more time with him when he is doing something that is upsetting to you or are you spending more time when he is doing what you want and need him to do.

When he starts talking like a baby in a very calm voice you ask him to repeat the question or need in his normal voice. This interaction shouldn't take more then a minute or two.

When your son is using a normal voice, or has accepted a no decision. You praise him for using his normal voice. You tell him that you appreciate when he speaks in a normal voice. You want your son to see and learn that people are going to spend more time with him when he is being appropriate.

Since you are truly concerned about some of the other behaviors that he is displaying it may be a good idea to talk with his pediatrician.

1-800-448-3000

0
0