Jazmine31
Jazmine31 asks:
Q:

How can I stop my 3 1/2 from being mean?

My sweet boy has some really mean moments!  He picks on the younger boy at the sitters seeking him out just to push him or do something mean to him.  He also bumps into, hits or kicks the dogs all for no reason.  He does it quite a bit now and seems to have no remorse for his behaviors.  He can tell me what he did and that he shouldn't have because it hurts others but that doesn't stop him from doing it.  How can I stop these behaviors before they get worse.
In Topics: Friendships and peer relationships, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

AnnieFox

We all have our "mean moments" from time to time, but what you're describing sounds like it might be developing into a pattern... lashing out may be your son's way to respond to something that's going on around him or within him. I'm guessing that his chosen "target" of the moment (Younger boy at the sitter's ... random dog, etc.) has little or no connection with these feelings.  I'm as concerned as you are because your son is hurting others and that has to stop. It also seems likely that he himself is upset (frustrated, afraid, hurt) and he doesn't yet know how else to express his emotions. I would get a referral from your health care provider for a child psychologist who works with preschoolers. I hope this helps.  
In friendship,
Annie
0
0