clepidus
clepidus asks:
Q:

What can I do to stop my 6 year old daughter from stealing anything and everything.

This last year has been hell on my family. My 6 year old daughter has been stealing anything and everything she can get her hands on. From her mothers makeup to food off her little brother and sisters plate. She gets up when we are sleeping and sneaks into the kitchen so steal food, if I so much as leave her alone for more than a few seconds she is trying to get into something.

I have watched and usually catch her in the act where she lies and makes up some excuse. It doesn't matter where we are she is constantly scanning the area as if she is looking for something to take. It is so bad I can not even go to the bathroom without her taking something. We just had to take her back to a store to return fingernail polish she stole and the experience did not change her behavior. Other than stealing, she is intelligent, helpful and well behaved. It is like there is some kind of short circuit in her brain and she has to be stealing to survive?

|