chapines
chapines asks:
Q:

How can I support my son who gives up?

My son is in 3rd grade,he flunked 2nd grade.Teachers tell me his to slow in class,he never finishes his work.Always have to do his classwork during recess.His always day dreaming has to snap fingers to get him back.Homework,he takes 1 hour to do one page and still does it wrong we go over it,he doesnt understand what im talking about.Iexplain over and over still doesnt get it.Ido 2-3 problemswith him explainig what to do and he doesnt get it then he starts crying saying he doesnt know what to do.I sit with him till his done with his homework actually giving him the answers because he doesnt know what to do.
In Topics: Helping my child with school work and home work

|

Hi Sabrina,

This must be so frustrating for you and your son! Has your son ever been evaluated for special education? As you may or may not know, you are entitled to request an evaluation of his cognitive capacity and academic ability. I wonder if he might have a learning difference that is getting in the way of his schoolwork. If he has not been evaluated, you should discuss this with his teacher. Depending upon her response and your satisfaction with her response, you can always make a formal request in writing to the Special Education Administrator in order to initiate the process. The benefit of an evaluation is that you and your son's teacher will learn more about your son's unique learning profile, which would enable you both to learn new and better ways of helping him academically.

For more information, please see the following articles:
http://www.education.com/reference/article/Ref_Questions_Often/

http://www.ncld.org/content/view/925/456088/

0
0

ntbrown
ntbrown writes:
 I can relate somewhat. My son is 9 and in 3rd grade only difference is, my son is hearing impaired and he's fully mainstreamed in his classroom of hearing peers . I think he uses this to his advantage though, kids know how to get to us and we as mom's never want to see our children fail or struggle, but I now make him tell me what we're to do when it's homework time. I understand he may not have all the concepts and tools to get started but I demand him help out too. Maybe you can try a tatic that his teacher and I did both at school and home. If he does good at school he's rewarded but he must continue that at home too and at the end of the week we let him have his favorite thing...with in reason. It works!!! I know we shouldn't reward for things their supposed to do but some kids respond better on reward basis.

0
0
HeatherPeterson124
HeatherPete... writes:
Why not give him motivation? Like a reward? Tell him that if he can pass the 3RD Grade with high grades, you can treat him out or have a month long vacation. I think that would help.

0
0