melanie32
melanie32 , Parent asks:
Q:

what should i teach my daughter before she enters kindergarten this year?

In Topics: Kindergarten readiness

|
eliad

Best Answer!

Ah, the million dollar question! nice.
It would be a good idea to talk with the school where your daughter will go to kindergarten and see if they had special tips or points to focus on and make sure that your kid is ready.

My son is going to Kindergarten next year and we've been somewhat stressed if he's ready or not and Is there is anything that we're missing that he MUST know?!

My frustration was that when I talk with other parents, I got the impression that my kid has to know a lot  before Kindergarten (read and write for example) But after talking with the school district and got their  information, We realized that much of the information we had was not correct, or high expectations from the kids.

It turned out that our preschool was doing more then required by the school district and both my wife and me are a bit more relaxed about it now.

Check Kindergarten Readiness topic page on this site for tons of useful information related to your question.
1
0

Jennie5
Jennie5 writes:
Hi Melanie32, If you go to your state's department of education website you can find the preschool standards there. these standards give you an idea of what a child is supposed to understand before leaving preschool. my son is in kindergarten this year and his teacher is having problems with her students being respectful and understanding what it means to respect others, she is also getting tired of tying shoes all day long:) knowing how to use the restroom and wash hands were a big thing with her too. academically, you should start teaching her letter recognition and how to write her name. the teacher will help with the rest...

2
0