MissSunshine asks:

Is it possible to teach self regulation skills to preschoolers without setting consequences and expectations on their behavior?

I am a teacher who is working in a system that uses Becky Bailey's Conscious Discipline as a means for teaching self discipline; however the system is extremely chaotic.  Children kick, spit, scream, and run out of classrooms all day long.  This system discourages its teachers from setting consequences (no time outs, parents are not to be called,  etc).

Besides our one behavior specialist who works for two other programs, there is little to no administrative support.  Many of the children who exhibit these types of behavior are diagnosed and have documented IEPs, but if the parents do not sign off on the plan, we cannot implement the steps.  Therefore, we are without the necessary tools needed in order to help our children become successful.

I am wondering if there is a better way to handle these extreme cases.

Question asked after reading: http://www.education.com/refe erence/article/impulsive-behavior-children/
In Topics: School and Academics, Cognitive development, Special needs

WOW- you do have your hands full.  Please consider these websites for assistance in addition to the materials found here:

Louise Sattler, NCSP

mgreer writes:
God be with you.  I as a parent of a 4 year old say that all kids need boundaries and rules and consequeses.  I use a type of bargaining with little one..she wants something then she has to do something for me or doesn't get it...example: I want to play dress up..okay then pick up the rest of your toys and you can..she says no then the dress up box never comes out.  I have never heard of a program with no consequences.  Kids are not born knowing right from wrong and have to be taught even if it is hard.  I encourage you to try and get those IEP's signed so you can impliment what the IEP's say you are to do.  Good luck!!