Show me another question in this topic
cpatony
cpatony asks:
Q:

Is a teacher a bully when turning a child desk to face a wall for weeks because of talking in class

My child is gifted and talks nonstop even while in school.  He has two teachers, one for gifted class one day per week and a "general" teacher the other four days.  His "general" teacher has decided the best method to stop him from talking was to move his desk away from the other students.  His desk was placed facing the rear wall and he has almost no interaction with the teacher or other students.  This went on for several weeks.  My immediate concern was how does a child learn with no classroom interaction and no face to face with the teacher.  My concern has now escalated and I find myself questioning what psychological damage has this teacher done to my child.  My understanding he is being ostracized and research has shown that ostracism can have serious psychological effects including causing the child to act up further.  Is this a case of his teacher being a bully?   How do you handle this?  We don't want retaliation by this teacher or his school in general.  This is not an isolated incident.  The teacher has done this same thing to one or two students.
In Topics: School and Academics, Self esteem and identity, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

It may be helpful if you could sit down with the teacher and discuss your concerns with how your child is being disciplined in the class. You might offer some suggestions that you have used at home that works well for your son.

You might ask the principle and the other teacher to sit in on the discussion to see what others ways might be more helpful in addressing your child needs.

A.
Boys Town National Hot line
1-800-448-3000

1
0

Houli
Houli writes:
Your description of the teacher's behavior is one that needs further follow-up through the proper channels.  This is a serious issue so you will need to step up and approach the school's principal about this.  Please don't worry about retaliation as the student's academic and personal success depends upon this issue getting resolved.

Are you the only person concerned about this?  Are there others?  If so perhaps a group of parents could request to share this information with the principal.

0
0
Show me another question in this topic
Anonymous