aro988
aro988 asks:
Q:

Teacher makes fun of my anxiety

I have a bad anxiety disorder which often causes me to panic and not finish tests. My math teacher thinks that i don't finish because I have bad attendance (it is my first hour and I often get migraines in the mornings)and don't study; this however is untrue since school is my life and I am at the top of my class. He now refuses to sign me into AP Calc AB, and instead wants to send me back to Analysis. He says that if i actually knew the information, then I wouldn't ave anxiety... he clearly doesn't know what an anxiety disorder is. I was then supposed to make up a test today, but I could have sworn I said I would take it tomorrow since I had a different test to do today. He then called me out on it in class and continued to give me a hard time about it... he then (in front of the class) responded with "now you are the one giving me anxiety". He clearly thinks that this is all a big joke and not an actual problem I have. I am now panicking about going back to his class and I can't focus in there. Is there anything I an do? I really can't have anything like this happen before my junior year!
In Topics: Motivation and achievement at school, Bullying and teasing, Anxiety

|
Grandma2you
Grandma2you writes:
I am sorry to read that a teacher would behave like this.  Anxiety is not something to make fun of and especially to ridicule you in front of other students.  With that said, I would ask you if you have told this to your mom/parents.  As a mother of a daughter that had such anxiety when taking tests that she became sick after taking tests, I can sympathize with you.  Ask your mom/parent to talk to your teacher and if you can support it with a doctor's note that would even be better.  If nothing improves I would recommend your parent go to the principal but start first with the teacher.  Any chance you could get in a different class?  Hope this helps.

0
0
TeacherandParent
TeacherandP... writes:
Do you have a guidance counselor or school psychologist? Make an appointment with the school guidance counselor or school nurse. And/or have your parents make an appointment with your math teacher.

There is medication for anxiety disorders. Your family doctor would be able to help you with that.

How do your other teachers respond to your anxiety issues? Is it only in math that you can't finish tests? Perhaps one of your other teachers could help you with your math teacher.

0
0
Wayne Yankus writes:
first, have your psychiatrist write a note to the teacher explaining exactly what you have said in your note.  It is not about knowing the information but is a disorder.  Second, be sure you and she/he are working together with your doctor on your migraines and anxiety since college will not be a good choice until these are under control. Finally, work on biophysical feed back with your therapist to enable you to get to class, prepare, and finish testing.

Best.

0
0
Anonymous