mariapulver
mariapulver asks:
Q:

Teacher tells me my 7 years old son lacks ambition and drive. Is there anything to do about it?

My son is one of the best students in his class, plus he takes swimming lessons twice a week and plays violin 4 times a week and he's bilingual. His school teacher says that though his grades are almost perfect, he rarely participates in any class activities or discussions, almost never asks or answers questions and loses interest in any new subject very promptly. The teacher believes that he totally lacks ambition and internal drive and she advised me to see a professional caregiver to get advice and maybe he should accept some psychological treatment. At home, I do see sometimes that he loses interest in a subject, but only if it is either too simple or extremely difficult for him. His violin teacher believes he's very gifted if a little lazy. But my son takes the violin lessons for 3rd year in a row now and he still wants to go to every single lesson and practices at home every day (no interest loss here). So obviously I'm completely lost here - should I do anything about it? Thank you.
In Topics: Motivation and achievement at school

|

Hello and thank you for writing to JustAsk,

This sounds to be quite a bit of a complicated situation. You may need to involve the School Counselor or School Psychologist to help determine what is happening within the classroom. Also note, most seven year olds want to please their teachers and parents, so usually "lacking ambition" is not an option.  Being bored, under challenged or overly challenges is more likely the scenario.

Good luck and I think there are several titles which may help you at FREE SPIRIT PUBLISHING..http://www.FreeSpirit.com

Louise Sattler, NCSP

0
0

EricaYelder
EricaYelder , Teacher writes:
Definitely try your best to approach this situation in a positive light. Ask your son questions about why something is boring and what can you do to make it fun. He is smart; it just seems as if the everything the teacher does is not interesting to him. Maybe provide him with fun activities at home. Since he enjoys music, incorporate music and art as much as possible in doing homework or just as a fun activity to do at home. The best start is to talk to him as a young adult and ask him questions, obviously he is very smart and bright.

0
0