Szb09
Szb09 asks:
Q:

Teacher known for yelling and throwing chairs

My daughter just started first grade. Every time I have mentioned the teacher she got, parents grimace and tell me terrible stories. Like she yells at the students, throws chairs, grabs ears and refuses bathroom breaks. And this has been going on for many years. So much so, parents specifically request their kids do not get her. Why would a school...full of excellent teachers...keep a teacher like this? And now since I didn't know any better...my child gets to suffer. I am so worried. I came home after dropping her off and sat and cried. I know I cant have her put in another class. Even though i so want to. I am just full of anxiety and guilt. I just feel helpless.
In Topics: Back to school, Working with my child's teacher(s), My Relationship with my child's school

|

TeacherandParent
TeacherandP... writes:
You posted many days ago - I hope you discovered these things to be only unwarranted rumors.
On the question of why schools keep bad teachers - that's a good question. In some states it's very difficult to fire a teacher. Many people don't understand how powerful the teachers' two unions have been and how much bad teachers are protected by their union. Once a teacher has tenure, they are very protected in their job and they usually gain tenure in the first few years of teaching and then have many years yet to teach whether they remain patient good teachers are not.
NO teacher should throw a chair or grab a child by their ear. If that is Happening, do not tolerate it. Organize volunteer parents to volunteer in the classroom - go to the principal with your volunteer schedule - a parent every morning and one every afternoon. Bad teachers become better when someone is constantly watching.

0
0
Anonymous