Anonymous
Q:

My teen has anxiety,social phobia; refusing school again: thinks he'll be criticised for pulling out of play he was given a part in. Has shut me out.

My teen developed school/social/crowd  phobia and anxiety after being bullied at last school.  He's been doing really well at new school but shuts down with anything involving being in front of others.  He felt unable to tell his teacher (who knows about his phobias and anxiety) he couldn't act in a class play because he doesn't want his peers to know about his anxiety and phobias as he doesn't want to be seen as different and says they will all laugh at him.  He's now refusing to go to school, started restricting his eating (he says he's fat), not sleeping, very irritable, unable to go out, staying in his room, asking what's the point in him being here.  He had input from health service before but it really didn't help - they just told him he had to go to school because it's the law and I would be in trouble if he didn't go.  I said at the time I felt he was depressed as well as anxious with phobias but I wasn't heard.  I am on my own trying to deal with this.  It's incredibly stressful as his pattern is how he was before, with the difference that this time he is not self harming and barricading himself in his room. His new school is understanding, and he has been referred to the school doctor, but, in the meanwhile, he is thoroughly miserable and I feel so helpless as anything I do or say is wrong (never mind that he is pushing boundaries as a teen anyway). What should I do?

Question asked after reading: http://www.education.com/magazine/article/Schoo...
In Topics: Learning styles and differences, Teen issues

|
Anonymous