Q:

Teen asks: How and where can I find the right job working with animals, particularly reptiles?

"I've been looking everywhere and still no sign of a suitable job. I am mostly interested in animals as well as reptiles. I want to do something in the line of a field guide but mostly work with the different species of snakes and reptiles. I gained some experience of taming deadly snake such as the horned eyed viper, the black ringkels, as well as night adders. So any information where I can find a job in that particular line of work it would help me a lot. Thank you."

Asked by Douglas after reading the article, "Should Your Teen Get a Summer Job?":
http://www.education.com/magazine/article/Teen_...
In Topics: Jobs/Careers, Nature and outdoors

|

Don't give up!  Keep looking.  Especially in this job market, it takes persistence to show an employer that you are interested.  Sometimes it takes people a long time to find the right job.  In the meantime, offer to volunteer somewhere that involves pets to get your foot in the door.  When a position becomes available, you will be first in line to get it.  

Try applying at places such as the zoo, local pet stores, and the local humane society.  Eventually you'll find the job you've been looking for.  

1-800-448-3000

0
0

Hi Douglas, Sorry to hear you're having trouble finding a job in your area.

Have you tried local pet stores (particularly the big chains that are hiring part-time helpers for the holiday season)? How about animal shelters or local veterinarian offices? Or is there a zoo in your area with a reptile exhibit? How about children, science or nature museums?

You might also contact your city's Recreation Department, or the county agency that oversees regional parks to see if they have any suggestions. There may be a local nature education program or summer camp they could suggest.  

Consider also contacting your local KOA to see if they have any openings, or state parks that offer nature education for campers (my daughter and her friends love to go to the campfire programs when we camp at state parks to hear the ranger and camp assistants explain about the nearby wildlife). Here is information about the Junior Ranger program and parks around the U.S. that support it:
http://www.nps.gov/learn/juniorranger.htm

Good luck in your search!

0
0
Anonymous