lisahunt1985
lisahunt1985 asks:
Q:

My teenage son cut himself out of anger. I am not sure how to handle that or what to do.

This is the second time he's done this and he's only 14.
In Topics: Teen issues, Cutting, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

Anger, acting out, and self mutilation, such as cutting the self, are cries for help.  They all mean that the a person is under emotional strain and needs help of a trained professional as soon as possible, before the emotional strain is too great to handle.

Adolescence is a difficult period.  Adolescents try to figure out who they are in the context of the society.  They also need to find a path into the future.  It can be overwhelming at 14 years of age.

Please schedule an appointment with a mental health professional, psychologist or psychiatrist, as soon as possible.  If you are not sure where to find one trained in working with adolescents, call your son's regular health care provider for a recommendation.

1
0

I'm very sorry to hear about the situation with your son. Cutting is a very dangerous behavior, and if you haven't already done so, please visit his pediatrician, your family doctor, and/or a child psychologist as soon as possible to help your son.

If you and/or your son want to talk with a crisis counselor right away, please call Boys Town National Hotline: 1-800-448-3000. They were able to provide very helpful support for another mother who asked a similar question as yours (http://www.education.com/question/13-year-daughter-cutting/ ), and are available to provide support to your family too.

Below are some additional informational resources that you may also find helpful. However, these are not a substitute for taking your son to see a doctor for this serious health concern.

Thank you for reaching out and asking your question here in JustAsk. I wish your family strength and success in overcoming this challenge.

2
0
BigSis
BigSis writes:
I'm so sorry to hear that your son is cutting. I remember how confusing life seemed and how I felt my parents didn't care. It might be that your son is trying to reach out to you. Try talking to him about what he is going through and ask him about what you can do to be there and help him through this difficult time. Let him know that you love him and that you never ceased caring for him and his well being.

I hope this helps.

0
0
64trout
64trout writes:
Get a counselor now.  Your school counselor is a good first stop.  Self mutilation is a serious cry for help.  You need to put your son first for a short while to help him to figure out what the issues are, to let him know you will be there to support him, and to ensure that he receives the tools he will need to help himself for now and later.  Please do not let this one slide.  It is a stepping stone to more serious problems later.

1
0
genermcmillan
genermcmillan writes:
It is a great problem please try to understand his problem with the help of a psychology analyzer and solve it with good approach.

0
1