cnn1421
cnn1421 asks:
Q:

My ten year old called my boyfriend dad

I've been a single mom for 4 years. I have 5 children ages 10,9,8,7,&5.  My boyfriend has 3 children of his own that he sees every weekend. We have a wonderful relationship, full of love. We do live together. Last night out of the blue my 10 year old called him daddy. I think we were both equally shocked. Their biological father has not been involved with them since the divorce. Is this okay for them to do? My boyfriend said that she is obviously comfortable calling him this and that he is fine with it. I'm just not sure if this is acceptable.
In Topics: Blended families

|

ShirleyCressDudley

It's completely up to you.  If you are both OK with your 10 year old calling him Daddy, and he doesn't mind, then it's fine.  You can remind your child that he has a biological Daddy too who also loves him.

What you call each other is not as important as how you treat each other.

I wish you the very best.

Kindest Regards,

Shirley Cress Dudley, MA LPC NCC FACMPE
Founder and Executive Director of The Blended and Step Family Resource Center

0
0

Your child appears very comfortable with your boyfriend. It may have been an unconscious slip to call your partner Daddy. Blending families is not always easy. Finding what works for your family and what does not work can be a form of trial and error. If you run into some areas you can not resolve through honest communication and by using problem solving skills, consider talking to a family therapist to help you come up with the best solution for your family

0
0
Hana_bird
Hana_bird writes:
This happens with young children. I wouldnt encourage the child to call him that, but dont restrict it. Dont give her a lecture on what divorced families are and that hes not the 'daddy'. Just ignore it. Also question whether you and your boyfriend want to get married :)

0
0