77Lucy77
77Lucy77 asks:
Q:

I think I need therapy but I'm scared?

I'm 13 and I hav been cutting myself for a couple months. I hate my father (I live with my mom but still have to go to my dad's house), my mom is losing our house, I'm one of the ugly girls at my school, and I'm really jealous of my step sister(her life is easy and she's really pretty). I've been tired and unhappy a lot lately. I keep wanting to eat and people irritate me alot lately. I'm beginning to think I'm depressed. Not just sad, but actually depressed.The Only people who know are 4 of my friends. My parents have no idea. I don't really want to tell her, but I'm starting to think I need therapy. I'm really scared tho because I don't like telling people about my serious problems, especially my parents. I don't know wat to do. I've thought about going to the school counselor but I don't want people at school to find out that I'm really messed up. I'm ugly and weird enough, I don't need to add on "crazy"please help thanks in advance god bless you
In Topics: Self esteem and identity, Teen issues, Cutting

|

Sometimes we can't handle everything on our own. We think it is great that you are open to seeing a counselor to help you work through some of the feelings that you are experiencing.  Cutting yourself and the constant cutting yourself down only hurt you and make you feel worse about everything else going on around you.  It is great that your friends are there to help and support you but at this point, you may need to get an adult involved.  
You could always start with the school counselor and see where it leads from there.  They will not think you are weird or messed up.  They are there to help and they do want to see that you succeed in life.  If they feel you should talk with your mom, which isn't a bad idea, they can help with that.  You could also try writing your mom a letter stating that you feel like you are struggling with issues and want to talk with someone about them.  
Life is hard and we all need people there to support us and point us in the right direction.  Those people will change from time to time but being 13 you are surrounded by people that love and care about you and your well-being.  
If you want to check out www.Yourlifeyourvoice.org  there are number of services available to you to help you talk with Mom or how to start helping yourself feel better.  There are also 3 ways to talk with a counselor on that site.  Please check it out today.  

Take care,
Boys Town Counselor
1-800-448-3000
0
0
Anonymous