LouiseSattler , Child Professional asks:
Q:

Time for back to school.  Does your family have any yearly traditions this time of year?

Since our children first left for preschool we have photographed them against our front door with their various backpacks, the family dogs and their Dad.  ( I always play photographer).  As they approached their senior years, these pictures made for a great reminder of how much they have grown physically, emotionally and mentally.  They have learned so much since their first days of preschool and these photos also remind me to give thanks to their teachers.

You are welcome to share your back to school tradition.
In Topics: Back to school, Family fun / holiday celebrations

|
Hi Louise,

Our family's Back to School ritual is similar to yours. On the first day of school, we take a picture of our daughter on her way to school (either at our front door or actually walking the path to the school), as well as a picture of her at the front door of her classroom. It's something we've done since she started preschool, and that we've managed to keep up year after year.

We also shop for at least one new item (this year, it was new shoes and lunchbox; last year, a new backpack and hairbands). Having something new for the first day of school seems to add a little extra sparkle to our daughter's eyes and smile, and is symbolic of the fresh start with the new grade and classroom.

Thanks for asking!

2
0
Well, as a homeschooling family, we have a "not back to school bash" and order our curriculum. This year we went with a combination of Spectrum for Math and Reading and Christian Light Publications. We also sign up for science labs at science center and enroll in many other outside activities. :) We stay busy and on schedule.

1
0
Brazil
Brazil writes:
well what we do is we shop till we drop.for things we need and more.

0
0
My kids are starting kindergarten and second grade this year.  We have a tradition of starting a new Harry Potter book for each one on the night before school starts (so the kindergartner will start the first book and the 2nd grader will start the 3rd book).  They've been getting excited for them all summer.  I love that it's a fun way to start the new school year AND that it gives them the sense of anticipation about starting a new Harry Potter that the rest of us got as the books were first being published.  

We also plan a special activity for the afternoon after the first day of school.  I think this is important so that as they start to get nervous and worried about the first day, I can say "Before you know it we'll be eating ice cream and playing at your favorite playground!" (or whatever).

Finally, I have a friend who has a great tradition that I might try to "borrow" even though my older son is already a few years into his school career.  She gets a 3 window frame and fills one window with a photo of her child, one window with a hand print, and one window with a 'self portrait' the child makes of himself.  I love that one!

Have a great school year everyone!

1
0
m0jang
m0jang writes:
Sort of. We take a day trip to Erie Zoo in PA. It's like a special thing we do, "Gotta go to PA!"

0
0
Anonymous