SAISSYDAWN
SAISSYDAWN asks:
Q:

Today my 5 year old  said he was going to kill a classmate.  I'm crying.  What can I do?  He is on his third adhd medicine.  And nothing last.

My child is 5 years old and 1st week of school told classmate he was shoot them.  Today after he was reprimanded he started crying and the little girl smile at him. Then he said I'm going to kill you.  The school had code red alarm and had to  hid in the bathroom and be quiet.  I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not. But he acted out all evening the code red drill.  Schools will not tolerate this and I've told him I would never get him a gun, play or water because I don't like them and will not have any here.
When the little girl smiled, I believe that she was being nice.
My child has a problem with people being nice to him.  He get mean or sassy when we complement him.  I don't know what to do.  Talking and taking away toys is not doing any good.
Please Help.

|

Parenting a child with ADHD can feel very overwhelming at times.

If you have tried different medications and you aren't seeing good results you might also talk with your doctor or even the school about having your son work with a therapist. This is someone that can work with your son on appropriate peer relationships.

You might also be interested in the following website www.parenting.org. They have some great articles about parents of children with ADHD.

Boys Town National Hot line
1-800-448-3000

0
0

Chipper.Hill-tx
Chipper.Hil... writes:
Well, I would suggest if he has ADHD it would be a ADHD problem of not saying good words, Sometimes if he does not take medicine for his problem that can reflect it also.

Hope I helped:)

1
0

Boys Town National Hot line
1-800-448-3000

0
1
artemis.of.the.moon
artemis.of.... , Student writes:
Lashing out in anger is not unusual for children with ADHD, seeing as how I, myself, have ADHD, and reacted that way a lot in my childhood, with angry outbursts and tears... I'm not sure I dealt out death threats though, maybe the death stare, but not so sure of the death threat. The threats of murder after being embarrassed... That's extreme, but he seemed to be in a stressful situation, if the code red alarm was going on while this was happening.

The child needs to be disciplined, that's for sure though. There's nothing wrong with a spanking or two. Just remind him why he's getting it... And don't beat him.

0
0
TeacherandParent
TeacherandP... writes:
A code red drill can frighten children - it's good to explain to them that it is just a drill. Point out to your son that you wear seat belts in the car but that you're not in constant accidents. Tell him doing a drill in school is like wearing a seat belt or having smoke alarms in the house. They might seem scary but what they really are is safe.

Also roll him under NO circumstances is violent language allowed. Children are still learning what is appropriate language. Explain that he's allowed to say "I feel bad" or "I feel angry" or I feel sad but it is NEVER ok to threaten other people.

Taking away toys will not work. When he says something inappropriate make him stop and tell him what he may say. Tell him when someone smiles they are not laughing at him.

He was crying in school for bring reprimanded. That shows he does care about how he is treated.

1
0
TeacherandParent
TeacherandP... writes:

0
0