kertuffle
kertuffle asks:
Q:

What is the typical reading program in today's first grade?

I am a retired teacher who has been volunteering for many years in an inner city school.  I am getting increasingly frustrated by what is going on in the classrooms I am "in." I work with the lowest kids and bring many of my own materials.  I see no grouping going on.  The child with problems doesn't have a suitable "reader" and seems to be just an observer while the rest of the class reads the first grade or second grade book.  When I started teaching in the fifties I had at least four reading groups. We started the whole class with readiness activities, then those who were ready went on to the first pre primer; those who weren't ready were given a second readiness books.  This week I got a new boy who has never been in first grade since he has no settled home.  I did a little story with him, just introducing one word like "see" and we made sentences that made sense in his life.  I also used some readiness activities in books I have purchased.  I enjoy what I do but it's only one afternoon a week with the k's, 1's and 2's so feel that the teacher needs to have a program for these kids.  There is a part time reading teacher who has other schools so that is not feasible, especially for K and 1.  I enjoy the kids since they keep me on my toes and fill me with love.  In my son's school in another state the teachers have leveled readers in their classrooms and that is what I would wish for "my kids" but I am "low man" on the totem pole.  What would you do, in my situation?  
In Topics: Working with tutors

|

KidAngel

Progress is dramatic from the beginning of the year to the end. Early on, first graders grasp the relationship between letters and sounds and recognize some words by sight. By the end, they can spell and "sound out" unfamiliar words by applying phonetic rules for letter combinations. They are also able to retain and discuss content.
Hope this has helped!

Barbara Antinoro
Kid Angel Foundation
Education Consultant

0
0