GMMac
GMMac asks:
Q:

Is it unusual to wait over a month for an IEP meeting?

My daughter is special ed secondary to mental health issues. She also has medical issues requiring multiple surgeries. The first IEP meeting went well and home schooling was the plan. It worked well. The second meeting ended poorly with the plan changing to placing her back in the "mainstream".  She failed because of her continual issue of not being able to keep up with regular attendance due to one of her issues, chronic insomnia. The last IEP plan also failed as they continued to hold back on home schooling even though it was the only plan that worked. Now we have been waiting for over a month for the next IEP meeting to take place because of incompetency in the school district. My daughter has been left behind for so long that she has lost a year of education. I want to take legal action but I don't know how. I think we deserve a letter of apology at least, and they should let her walk with her class at graduation after she takes the CHESPE. Her mental health issues have become worse because of all this waiting and failure on their part, but she feels like a failure. What can I do? Maybe I can do something to keep this from happening to another child if I can't do anything to help my own child regain the self esteem she was robbed of along with the months of waiting for someone to help her, not harm her.  Thank you, Gail McCollum
In Topics: Special education

|

I feel your frustration and know you only want the best for you daughter.  I think you need a local advocate to help you.  They can make calls on your behalf or tell you exactly what to say in order to get things done.  They will also go to meeting with you to make sure the it goes according to guidelines established by your district or state.  They are usually up on the latest legislation.  It can vary from state to state.

Check out the following sites for additional information.  And don't give up the fight.
1
0