HeidivTonder
HeidivTonder asks:
Q:

I am urgently looking for info regarding Montessori Preschools in Pretoria, South Africa. I feel that my son-3 needs more stimulation than SA offers.

My son has been very fond of books and loves to learn. He is like a little sponge and is (in my opinion) way above his peers. He was put in the Grade R Readiness Class since the beginning of this year (age 2) and has already learnt to write alphabet letters, numbers, link similarities, spot differences, identify shapes and colours, do dot-to-dot by numbers, etc. His teacher resigned two months ago and it has been hell ever since. He does not want to go to school, he cries every morning, he is nagging, and he struggles sleeping. I am sure he is bored stiff at school, because the classes have been thrown together due to a shortage of teachers, and all they do is look DVDs, play with toys, and draw or paint a picture in the morning.
He has always been very enthusiastic about learning and ran in to class before I could even say goodbye, but now he clings to me and won't go to school without a fuss. Our home language is Afrikaans, but I was raised English. My son is speaking both languages and counts and recognises the alphabet in both languages, but his school has always been Afrikaans. He has been in preschool since age 10 months, so this is not new to him...
I would like to place him in a Montessori Preschool as I am in any case going to put him in a different school where he can continue learning things at his own pace in stead of doing nothing due to a lack of teachers. Please advise me on school available in Pretoria, South Africa, prefferably Afrikaans based!
In Topics: Choosing a preschool

|
Hi, Congrats on your son's interest in reading and love of learning! Sorry to hear that things haven't been going so well for him since his teacher left.

Are you familiar with the website South Africa Online? I did a search on that site for "Montessori preschool" and found a few schools you might check out: http://bit.ly/8PONhn

Here is another Montessori preschool in Pretoria, South Africa that I found by doing a Google search for "Montessori school, Pretoria, South Africa": http://montessoriacademy.co.za/

Below are some resources that help U.S. parents with children in preschool, in case there are any insights here that you also can apply in South Africa.

Good luck -- I hope all goes well with your search, and/or you are able to resolve the challenges your son is having at the current school.

0
0
msmith
msmith writes:
Hallo Heidi, I can help you your son as I have just opened an Afrikaans Montessori school in Pretoria.  You can contact me via tiny2hands@gmail.com for furhter info.  Looking forward to hear from you soon.  Regards Michelle Smith

0
0
KarenVisser
KarenVisser writes:
Hi Heidi,
We have a very well established Montessori pre-school,with only passionate and qualified Montessori staff. It will be a huge pleasure to assist you in ensuring that your gifted child receives the very best possible education. You are welcome to contact me to view our environment. Our directresses are bilingual and our staff /child ratio is 1/7...To ensure that your child receives lots of individual attention. We are situated in Menlopark, Pretoria. You can contact me @ 0829207260

Warm regards
Karen

0
0
globalchildsa
globalchildsa writes:
Hi there

Choosing a preschool that can nurture your child's ability is always a difficult decision.  A good montessori preschool emphasizes learning through all five senses, not just through listening, watching, or reading. Children in Montessori nursery schools learn at their own, individual pace and according to their own choice of activities from hundreds of possibilities.  They therefore are never bored.  Unfortunately most preschools in South Africa do not have staff with any form of therapeutic background that can be utilised to help children transition through stressful times such as when a teacher leaves.  My preschool, Global Child Montessori Pre Primary School is not in Pretoria but rather on 1st Avenue Linden in Johannesburg.  We are a progressive montessori with an onsite play therapy center.  I wish you luck finding something closer to home.  If you are in need on any advise on the characteristics of a good montessori school you can always contact me through my schools website.

0
0