soonerstate
soonerstate asks:
Q:

Help with independent and dependent variables please

my daughter is doing a science project in which she is trying to figure out what cleansing method works the best. She is using hand sanitizer, anti bacterial soap and plain ol soap. She will be using glo germ to simulate germs on her hands.  I'm gonna guess the soaps are independent variables but what re the dependent variables? Am I even right on the independent?
In Topics: Science fair

|

greenprof2

Seems like it has been a long time and you didn't get a response. Sorry, and as school is about to close, you probably already solved your problem and found an answer. The good news is that your daughter's teacher probably wanted you to come up with something without getting a ready answer from somebody like me, because you learn more through the process. Hope it went well for her (and your must have figured that the dependent variables included the bacterial count and the amount of dirt removed).

0
0

lanasia.sydnor
lanasia.syd... writes:
I haven't done this topic in awhile but, I do believe that the soaps are independent variables because those are the parts of the project that she the "scientist" have complete control over them, and independent variable is the part of the experiment that can be changed by her and the dependent variable should be the germs that show up on her hand,because a dependent variable is the outcome of the changes that she will make which we know is the soap type, and the way you would classify it is if you change the soaps and the amount of germs change as an outcome of the change.

1
0
ebentz
ebentz writes:
In this case, the dependent variable would be the amount of germs. The independent variables would be the different types of soaps she uses. The amount of germs (dependent) DEPENDS on the type of soap she uses (independent)
Hope that helped!

0
0
Taylor_E
Taylor_E writes:
Yes the i.v. is the what is being changed in the experiment. The d.v. is what is bein changed because of the i.v. so you can say that the dv is the reaction or the effect to the iv. I hope this helps. :)

0
0
amaneshni
amaneshni , Student writes:

Independent Variables - are ones that the experimenter has "control over it"... In other words it can be changed or manipulated simultaneously during the project/experiment.

Dependent Variables - are ones that happen in "response" to independent variables.

So here, the dependent variable is the germs because they happened in response to what kind of soap is used during the project/exp

Hope that helps,

0
0
cryall
cryall writes:
Dependent is how you measure your results (amount of germs) independent would be what you are testing (type of germ removal-soap, sanitizer etc. )

0
0