jw1979
jw1979 asks:
Q:

Does the weight girls gain in the hip and thigh area after breast development begins even out eventually and is it normal for this to happen suddenly?

My daughter who is 9 began developing breasts about 9 months ago.  Just in the last 6 weeks she has quickly gained a large amount of weight in the stomach, hips and thigh area.  She is very uncomfortable about it, since she has always been so tiny.  She literally has went up 2 sizes in a month and is about to have to go up another size.  I read that the weight gain is normal, but was wondering if it should happen so quickly and will it eventually even out?
In Topics: Physical development

|

Girls (and boys) are reaching puberty in the US sooner than ever. Nine is about right for girls and we have learned that obesity and being african-american probably does not influence this according to the recent PROS study done in pediatric offices across the US.  Rapid weight gain is unusual and I would check with her pediatrician and ask her about Body Mass Index and see if there is any "other" reason for her quick gain. We have learned that you don't necessarily loose the weight.

1
0