booboo71
booboo71 asks:
Q:

what do your children do about bullies?

my 14 year old son has been consistantly bullied every year since 4th grade. hes always been open with me about it which i feel fortunate about that, however, nothig seems to actually stop the bullying. every year its a different set of kids and each time i report to school officials, im told "its been taken care of". at best the current bully will be suspended for a couple days and then return behaving as bad or worse than before. hes tried everything from talking beck to ignoring them and still nothing helps. anyone got any tried and true suggestions? im at a loss.

|

I'm sorry to hear that your son continues to be bullied.  It sounds like he's tried several ways to get away from it, but is still experiencing the same problems.  How frustrating it must be that the bullies continue to be allowed to behave the same way at school.  Have you taken your concerns higher up in administration?  If you feel like your concerns haven't been heard by the principal, it's always an option to speak with the school board or superintendant of schools.  It's also a good idea to have your son talk to the school counselor.  The counselor may have other ideas as to what has worked for other kids who have experienced bullying.  

Continue to encourage your child to ingnore the bullies at school and speak to the teachers when appropriate.  To help your child build self-esteem insist they are involed in activities outside of school where they will received positive praise.  Get them involved in a summer camp with kids that are interested in similar things such as music, art, or sports.  If you can help encourage your son to excel in things away from school they will be less likely to take their bully's words and actions to heart.  Remember to give lots of praise to your child.  Now more than ever, they need to be reminded that they are a good person that doesn't deserve to be treated badly.  Remember that you and your son are welcome to call our 24/7 crisis hotline to speak with one of our counselors.  Maybe it would help your son to speak to a counselor that talks to hundreds of kids that have been where he's at.  We can offer support and even share with him stories of other teens that have experienced bullying.

1-800-448-3000

0
0

Edu-Katherine
Edu-Katherine writes:

I'm so sorry to hear that your son is going through this. It's got to be hard on you both, I'm sure.  I'm sure you'll get some advice and opinions from others here in the community, but in the mean time I found a few articles that might help you out, from the Education.com articles:

What to do about bullying: Tips for parents
http://www.education.com/reference/article/Ref_What_Do_About/

Helping kids deal with bullies
http://www.education.com/reference/article/Ref_Bullying_Your_Child_2/

Bully-proofing your child
http://www.education.com/magazine/article/four-steps-bully-proof-child/

I think one of the most important things that you're doing right now is keeping that line of communication open between you and your son, and reinforcing his self-esteem and sense of self through out all of this.   Has the school at all talked to the bully's parent(s)?

Any other parents out there with ideas? We'd love to hear them and help booboo71 out.

0
0
shradha.agr
shradha.agr writes:
You should tell your son to immidiately complain to the teacher when he is bullyed.If this do not work then he should he should become brave and stop the other children from doing so.

1
1