Anonymous
Q:

I have witnessed how other boys would treat my boy rudely in an after school facility. Is it okay to step in? How?

I have a daughter who attends a preschool that runs an after school facility for 2 boys with 2 children of the owner. All 4 boys attend same elementary public school as my son. For short they know each other, but they're a year older than him.  For some time, they were playing nicely when my son comes by while waiting for me to pick up his sister.  Recently I noticed that they were treating him rudely such as not letting him play with them by running away from him/locking door to leave him out of the room/telling him his not part of family.  The elusiveness looks like they're allergic to him.  He took it meanly and has cried about it. I told him to let the director (who is the mom of 2 boys) know.  He did, but seems like not helping much.  What should I do?  Is it time to step in?  How? and what should I say?  Please help.
In Topics: Friendships and peer relationships, Communicating with my child (The tough talks)

|

Bullying hurts at any age.  In my opinion, it is all of our responsibilities to educate and enforce safety in our schools, neighborhoods, etc.  This would include stopping kids from being mean and cruel to each other. So, yes, if it were me I would step in   by talking with the adults in charge about your concerns. Also, you may wish to volunteer in the center in order to be able to help out and be a support for your child.

Annie Fox (who also contributes to Education.com) has many articles on how to help children and school being bully free- here is her website:  http://www.anniefox.com

Also, Jaylens Challenge is a site geared for school aged kids to learn not to bully. The website is http://www.JaylensChallenge.org

Louise Sattler, Psychologist

0
0