friscotexasmom
friscotexas... asks:
Q:

Why won't my preschool child draw pictures?

My son is VERY hesitant and seems almost scared to draw.  He is almost 4 and 1/2.  I suspect he wants his pictures to be perfect. I have tried lots of praise for any effort and giving him simple requests like drawing shapes and I have even asked him to draw a picture and told him he does not have to show me.  He is very smart, articulate and does great at his preschool but if he is not tracing, he has no confidence.  When painting all he wants to do is handprints.  I admit I have not worked on this very much but I am starting to worry that he should have at least some basic skills in this area.  Any suggestions on activities or methods to get him interested and build his skills and confidence?  Thanks.
In Topics: Preschool, My child's growth and development, Creative arts

|

Hello and thank you for writing to JustAsk,

I applaud that you want to have your child expand his artistic abilities!  Here is what I suggest:

1- Offer him fun arts and craft activities that do not utilize traditional mediums such as paper and pencil or paint.  Use instead, clay to help him be comfortable with creating shapes.  Then offer him large writing tools that are fun (such as smelly markers that are non-toxic, chalk for sidewalks,  a large paint brush and water that can be used to "draw" on sidewalks, too!)  Then once he has mastered these different tools and environments slowly offer him other options such as paper with the thinner markers, then crayons, etc.  He can even make a paper airplane and draw designs on it!

Praise, praise, praise!  Each attempt and success should be praised so that he learns that he is able to be successful with activities that are other than drawing his hands!  When possible hang up his artwork, photograph his chalk drawings, and show family and friends his attempts!

Know that lots of four -year olds are not great at art and this is because small motor skills can be a challenge for preschoolers.  In due time, he will refine his skills and will go forth to draw many wonderful pictures.

Lastly, a trip to an art museum or a library to look at art/ drawing/ craft books may inspire  him.  

Owner of Signing Families™
Host of Learning and Laughter with Louise! (toginet.com)

0
0

heezy
heezy writes:
he might not like to draw or as you said might be scared.

0
1
cutenerd
cutenerd writes:
probably he doesn't like drawing i know a lot of people who dnt like to draw, fine out other thing your kid likes to do and if u want him to draw show him nice pictures and make him practice drawing and when  he grows older maybe he will like it but if he grows up and still doesn't like drawing then that means he dnt like drawing !! well good luck whit your kid drawing! = )

0
1
Trina100
Trina100 writes:
Hi, my son is 4 years 3 months and he too doesn't like to draw. His nursery has even asked me to make sure he draws in his book share workbook but he draws the same things each time. However he loves crafts and colouring and can write as long as I dot out the letters for him.
I've found that if I guide him he takes to drawing better - for instance I say 'draw a circle for the head. Add an oval touching it for the body, do lines for arms' etc and he enjoys it more then I make sure I praise him for it a lot. He gets very excited by the praise and tries to then draw things himself.
But I feel some kids don't like drawing that much and I know with my son he is more constructive than artistic and in every other area he us doing great so try not to worry too much as all children have their own personalities and likes and dislikes and I know that if I ever force my son he starts to resent that activity.

0
0
Anonymous